Peterbilt Parts & Service
Parts Professional Authors
TRUST TRP® REMANUFACTURED BRAKES
Remanufactured brakes for heavy-duty trucks and trailers can be a sensitive subject. Trust the TRP Reman Brake Program’s remanufacturing process to provide a high-quality brake lining at a competitive cost. TRP reman brake products exceed Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) 121 braking requirements, because safety and quality are just as important to our team as they are to you.
Points to Consider
When looking for reman brakes for your vehicle, consider these questions:
1. Do the brake linings meet FMVSS 121 requirements for their axle rating with an AL factor of 165, and does the brake program offer a breadth of linings within the 20,000-lb and 23,000-lb axle rating?
2. Does the brake shoe remanufacturing process follow stringent Quality Control (QC) processes? Is the brake shoe cleaned, stripped down to the bare metal, and coined before it is painted and relined?
3. Does an OE supplier with stringent process controls and wide national availability manage the operation?
Features & Benefits of TRP Reman Brakes
TRP reman brake shoes are manufactured again—not just relined—in processes that meet the highest standards of cleaning, coining, and riveting. This translates into performance and durability you can rely on.
- All linings are certified for their axle ratings with an AL factor of 165.
- Every brake shoe is coined in a 1,000-ton press to restore it to OEM tolerances.
- Lining development, selection, and quality control testing is performed in an OE R&D facility.
- TRP linings are FMVSS 121-certified.
- Made in the USA.
Brake Lining Certifications
Foundation brake manufacturers specify the AL factor for their brakes: the area for the brake chamber multiplied by the length of the slack adjuster. Knowing the AL factor of a brake lining makes an informed comparison between possible friction materials. All TRP linings are certified for their axle ratings with an AL factor of 165, representing an average application of the brakes utilizing a specific chamber (T30/30 cubic inches) multiplied by a 5.5-inch slack adjuster. It’s important to ask detailed questions about the brake lining and the test criteria to ensure that the rating reflects your application.
Brake Lining Grades
TRP offers three grades of lining in both 20,000-lb and 23,000-lb axle ratings. Multiple options within a specific axle rating give you the ability to choose the right brake friction for your specific needs. Brake linings certified at 23,000 lb could be much too aggressive for some applications, causing the brake drums to wear prematurely or result in brakes that grab. Likewise, brakes certified at 20,000 lb may not provide sufficient braking power to stop some heavy vehicles. Be sure your lining is tailored to your application.
Read this article for a comprehensive overview of our grades of brake lining.
TRP® REMAN BRAKE LININGS COMPARED
It’s important to understand the different grades of brake lining the TRP Reman Brake Program offers and to request a lining tailored to your application.
The TRP 20,000-lb Premium-grade friction material is formulated with low thermal-expansion characteristics. It provides excellent performance characteristics in demanding applications. The premium-grade lining is engineered to handle the high braking duty cycles encountered in city pickup and delivery as well as highway applications where steep grades are encountered. It provides excellent lining life, superb stopping power, and superior resistance to fade.
The TRP 20,000-lb Standard-grade friction material exhibits good wear and fade characteristics. It is engineered to provide exceptional value in price and performance. It is ideally suited for medium-duty on-highway, dry freight, intermodal leasing, and straight truck applications. It provides good lining life, good stopping power, and excellent value and performance.
20,000-lb Line Haul
The TRP 20,000-lb Line Haul is a value-grade friction material. It is best suited for light- and medium-duty on-highway trailer, straight truck, lift axle, and tractor applications. It is uniquely formulated to provide consistent braking performance and good lining life.
The TRP 23,000-lb Premium-grade friction material is engineered for high performance. Because this lining is stable under high temperatures, it exhibits minimal swell and growth (less than one percent), minimal fade, excellent stopping power, superior recovery, and minimal drum wear.
The TRP 23,000-lb Standard-grade friction material is the most popular lining in the TRP brake friction portfolio. This is a workhorse of a lining, best suited for on-highway tractor and trailer applications. Engineered for stability, the lining provides good wear and fade characteristics, consistent braking, good lining life, and good stopping power while exhibiting low noise.
23,000-lb Line Haul
The TRP 23,000-lb Line Haul is a value-grade friction material. It is best suited for on-highway trailer, straight truck, and tractor applications. It is uniquely formulated to provide consistent braking performance and good lining life.
- Make an impression with TRP® Chrome-Plated and Stainless-Steel aftermarket truck parts.
- TRP® Air Springs Keep You Comfortable on Any Terrain
- The Perfect Fit for Your Exhaust System
- Reduce Maintenance Costs with Bendix SmarTire™
- 5 AC Tips to Stay Cool this Summer
- Road Readiness
- ROUTINE MAINTENANCE WILL KEEP YOUR TRUCK PERFORMING AT PEAK EFFICIENCY
- Control the Road Ahead With TRP® Tie Rod Ends
- Choosing the Right Air Dryer Cartridge to Protect Your Brakes
- Meet the Demands of Your Business With Bezares PTO
- Get the Most Out of Your Fan Clutch With Horton’s DM Advantage®
- Reinforce Your Truck with Comfort and Control by Investing in PACCAR OE Shocks
- TRP: 20 Years of Quality and Value
- The Right Drum for the Right Application
- For Flexibility and Durability, Think TRP Exhaust Bellows
- TRP All-Makes All-March Event
- TRP Introduces Fan Clutch Repair Kits
- TRP Introduces All-Makes Super Heavy Duty AC Compressors
- TRP Announces New Warranty And Product Offerings For Performance-tested Air Springs
- TRP® Introduces New Lubricant Program
- TRP All-Makes All-March Event – 31 Days of Savings
- TRP A/C Compressors Withstands the Most Demanding Applications
- TRUST TRP® REMANUFACTURED BRAKES